Gee, I am sorry it has taken me two weeks to do an update on John. I hadn't realized so much time had gone by. I have been so busy trying to catch up on work at home that updating this journal just kept getting away from me. John and I have been away at Hershey about five out of the last six months. There is a lot of work I have had to catch up on at home.
Let's see. Last entry, two weeks ago, we were waiting for Hershey to call to change one of John's meds to bring his counts back up. Well, the med dosage was changed. And his counts never came back up.
Well, not until a couple of days ago. They are finally higher. Let me explain. John has been given shots to artificially stimulate his red and white blood cells. He has to go to the doctor's office daily to get the Neupogen shot (the one for white blood cells). The home nurse no longer comes (long story) so he has to go to the doc everyday. These shots are to bring up his counts TEMPORARILY. I say temporarily because they only work for a short time.
Now, the reason why he is getting the Neupogen shots. John has had a fever for about a week and a half now. Today it is finally gone I think. Anyway, he has two ingrown toenails. When he saw Dr. Claxton about two weeks ago, Dr. Claxton told him one of the toenails must be removed as soon as possible. Like before he gets blood poisoning. The only problem is, it can't be taken out until his white blood counts get higher. That is why the doctors are giving John daily Neupogen shots to raise his counts. Fortunately the shots can be given locally. Meanwhile, John has been given an oral antibiotic to take. If at any time he gets a high fever before the toenail comes out (because the toenail is causing a very bad infection), then the oral antibiotic won't be enough, and John will have to go back to Hershey and be hospitalized and put on an IV antibiotic for 24/7.
Oh, and one more thing. John was supposed to go to Hershey for an appointment after he had his toenail worked on (He was going to have it worked on sometime next week.). His appointment date to go to Hershey was a week from Monday. But that's not going to work out that he see Dr. Claxton before he gets his toe worked on. Now he has to go to Hershey on Monday (in two days - April 24). Because he has this rash on him. And I guess they are concerned it might be Graft Verses Host Disease. I was speaking with Hershey on the phone today and told them about the rash, and they moved John's appointment up one week. So anyway, John and I will drive up on Monday the 24th, and as always, I will pack a bag for each of us, just in case we have to stay. I don't think we will have to this time, but I always pack, because all too often it happens.
Okay, well that's about it. Please pray for John. He has been through so much. He is in good spirits though. He is my very strong and positive guy. But prayers that he would get better soon so that he doesn't have to suffer so much would make me happy.
Love you all, Krissy :)