Saturday, March 17, 2007

the Irish side of my family!

                                 

As it is St Patrick's Day, I thought I would take this time to tell a little about my Irish heritage.  This is an accounting that I got from my Mother. 

Most of my relatives that came from Ireland came around 1840 or after.  Most came from Mullingar, which is in County West Meath.  County West Meath is in the middle of Ireland.  One relative came from Multyfarnum.  Some of the family names were:  Mahon, and Mulvaney.

Other Irish relatives were Gallagher, McCarthy, and Collins.  They came to New York and settled there some time before 1912.  Most of mom's relatives settled in New York City.  Her relatives are buried in Calvary Cemetary which is in Long Island, New York City.
 
The Irish are on my Mother's side.  
 
My Great grandmother's mother was Anna Mahon.  She was a hat maker for the theatre in New York.  She could sew anything.  She would go to the store, see something and make it.  She was in the choir where my Mom was married - Our Lady of Perpetual Help. 
 
My Grandmother's mother married Christian Stemple.  He was German.  He died when he was 39. 
 
They had my grandmother (Grandma Chrissie - my Mom's mom).  She was fourth generation Irish.
 
Because Grandma Christine's parent's died so young, she was raised by Mom's Great Aunt.  Her name Marcella Mahon.  She was my Mom's grandmother's sister.  She was always in Church.  She was in a third order and wore a habit.  She raised Mom's mother.  She had a junk shop.   Mom's grandma died when when my Grandma Chrissie was only 14, and Mom's grandfather when Grandma Chrissie was only a baby I think.  That is why Marcella had to raise Grandma Chrissie.  Eventually Marcella retired from the junk shop.  She died at age 80.  She paid everybody's rent and bought them food.  Margaret, another sister, was called Nanna.  Margaret owned an orchard in Staten Island.  
 
My Mom went on the Staten Island Ferry over 100 times.  She was a scaredy cat to do it, but she did it anyway.  She did it to get to Staten Island to see Margaret Mulvaney (used to be Mahon) and Nancy.  Nancy was Margaret's daughter.
 
Nancy Mulvaney married Bill Dudley (English).  Nancy was a good nurse.  Nancy was my Grandma Chrissie's closest person.  Nancy and Bill had three children.  Francis (Franny), Bill, and Marguerite (a nurse).
 
Margaret had another daughter.  She was Nancy's sister.  Her name was Mabel Mulvaney McCarthy.  She married a McCarthy from County Clare.  They had two sons, Jack and Vincent.  My mom says Jack and Vincent were very special people.
 
Margaret's son, and Nancy's and Mabel's brother was named Jim Mulvaney.  My Mom describes him "as a nice guy that showed up once a year".  He lived in the bowery.
 
Getting back to my Grandma Chrissie, three of her children married Irishpersons.  My Aunt Chrissie married Eugene Gillis and became Christine Majorossy Gillis.  By the way, my Aunt Chrissie is my Mom's identical twin sister!  My Uncle Bill Majorossy married Teresa Daly.  And my Uncle George married Clare McNamara.
 
Now a little background on my Mom.  She grew up in an all Irish neighborhood.  She had many Irish friends.  Her Mom (Grandma Chrissie) had all Irish friends.   
 
My Mom's favorite Irish dance was always:  The Stack of Barley.  This was a common dance when my Mom was a teenager.
 
My Mom's favorite Irish song is: The Irish Colonial Boy.  She said it was sung every time the Irish have a party, sort of like an irish anthem.
 
My Dad also wanted me to throw in that his Aunt Ida and Uncle Pete Walsh (Pete being the Irishman in the family) raised him for awhile after his Mom died.   Pete was very Irish.  They owned a theatre and a hotel.  Pete was a drinker.  Pete introduced my Dad to wine.  My Dad is sober now though.
 
I know that this account is kind of choppy and has holes in it.  But I thought I would at least try to do it for my family.  Mom, if you see mistakes, please let me know!
 
Erin Go Bragh!
 
                     
 

16 comments:

  1. Krissy, how in the world did you get mom and dad to open up and tell you all of this?! I now realize that I knew very little about my Irish relatives! Growing up in Northern Virginia, there was a bully always making my life miserable...her name was Valerie Mahon! LOL! anyhow, many of the male Irish relatives were firemen in New York City. Some of the women were tall and thin, and great grandma had a horse face! Ssshhh! Don't tell mom...I saw her photo in aunt Teresa and uncle Bill's photo album...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for telling us about your ancestors Krissy. I hope you had a good St Patrick's Day and celebrated for all those who aren't here now! Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/  

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so wonderful that you know so much about your Irish family.  It is nice that you've put it all down. I have a 'wee bit' of Irish ancestry, but do not know anything about the people.  I can trace back the line, but that is all.  Hope you had a great St. Patrick's day !  'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Morning Krissey.Nice to see you have connections with Ireland.It's an interestingt entry you have here.One of my uncles is married to an Irish lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ((((((((((((((((((((HUGSTOYOU))))))))))))))))))))))Very intresting entry,I like it.No mistakes.I am Irish o,I belive on both sides.I have Irish,Scottish and German.Glad you had a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I have some English, Irish and German in me.  But I don't have nearly the information you do.  You are blessed to know it!  ;o)  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dont you love to listen to how things were for the elder family members

    ReplyDelete
  8. Krissy, Thanks for sharing this fascinating history of your family. It was so interesting!  Love you, Merry

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love history! Thanks. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jeepers, Krissy, you knew WAY more than I did!!  LOL  How on earth did you get all this??  LOL  Did you get it yesterday?  LOL  Dad was the one that told me our relatives were from County Cork.  Could it be HIS Irish relatives??  Great work here!!  WOW!!  I saved it just so I could have all the information!  Neato!  Love, Val Maire (very Irish!) O'Fisher... LOL xoxoxoxox
    http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

    ReplyDelete

  11. Krissy, this is so interesting about your family.  My Mom was Irish.  She sang all the old Irish songs to me.....My wild Irish Rose and Danny Boy, When Irish eyes are smiling, Galloway Bay. Ask your Mom if she knows them.  
                                                                        Love and Hugs     Myke

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was interesting to read.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved reading about your family. Hope your having a nice weekend. ((((((hugs)))))
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. My grandfather's from County Meath!   :)  Different last names, however...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bill Majorossy Here in Fla I'm Bill and Terry Majorossy's Son! Great Bit of history on my Nanna Chriss that I never Knew ....Would love to get in contact with all my cousins , found this running a google search on myself ..lol I'm on Facebook or my e mail is all lower case... irishmagyar@comcast.net hope too here from some long lost family ... Bill. 12-22-11

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Bill Majorossy -- I will get in touch with you as soon as possible. I just found this comment yesterday. I was thinking about your dad Bill Majorossy the night before I found this comment! I was sad as I was looking at a photo of your Dad, my Uncle Bill Majorossy, and thinking, "Oh, I wish I knew him, and I wish I knew his children. I know nothing about them, or even their names." By the way, I do remember my Uncle Bill and my Aunt Terry coming over when I was little, and I do believe you were at my house! I also believe I remember a sister. I could be wrong, but that's my memory. I will be contacting you very soon ...Krissy. 01-22-12 (

    PS Looks live i found your comment one month after you wrote it, LOL. sorry it took me so long. will get in touch with you in the next few days. looking forward to it, and God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...