Tuesday, September 18, 2007

what's the mysterious object in John's right kidney?

Okay, so like, John has some mass or something in his right kidney.  It may be a cyst or it may be cancer.

Uhm, like, John's local nephrologist (kidney doctor) told us two weeks ago.  I didn't say anything to you all b/c I wanted to wait until we had something more definite on what it was.  But who knows how long that's going to take.

Two weeks ago Dr. Donelan (he's local) told John that he had a mass in his right kidney, according to an ultrasound that the doctor was viewing, and a report.  He also told John he wanted him to have a CT scan in three months, to see if the mass had grown.  That way it would help the doctor determine if the mass was merely a cyst, or if it was kidney cancer.

John and I thought about it for a day or two, then quickly determined that waiting was folly.  Why wait three months to SEE if something is cancer?  I don't know if anything can be done to check anything sooner than the three months, but why not ask Dr. Claxton, John's oncologist, instead of waiting?  We called up Mitzi, Dr. Claxton's nurse, at Hershey Medical Center.  She asked that the ultrasound and report immediately be faxed  to her so that Dr. Claxton could view them.

That was two weeks ago.  It has been a horrible wait.  B/c it has been one mess up after another, from Dr. Donelan's office's end.  Instead of explaining the whole thing, I will just say that Dr. Donelan's office just sent the report YESTERDAY to Hershey.  They used many reasons why they hadn't sent the report earlier than yesterday.  One was b/c they wrote the wrong fax number down on the fax sheet.  It was one number off.  I guess there is a car dealership out there, or something, looking at photos of John's kidney. 

At any rate, Mitzi should be getting the fax today (or maybe got it yesterday evening).  Now she can give it to Dr. Claxton.  We don't have any idea when we will hear back from Mitzi.  Hopefully in the next couple of days.  We of course want Dr. Claxton to have a chance to have a thorough look at everything.

If it is cancer, we won't be surprised.  It is not too terribly rare to get a secondary cancer after a bone marrow transplant.  In John's case, it would be a third cancer if he does have cancer.  If he does have cancer, it would be in no way related to his other two kinds. 

On the other hand, it could just as easily be a cyst. 

Or, I suppose, a kidney stone?  A few months ago a technician told John she thought he had a kidney stone, while performing an ultrasound.  It is coming back to me, he had an ultrasound for another problem.  Why would a technician have the right to attempt to read an ultrasound during a test?  She was not a physician.  And another thing, why weren't we given the results of this before now?  That ultrasound was done months ago.

I guess I shouldn't have brought any of this up.  Until we knew the results for certain.  But this has been awful stressfull.  And all the while, at the same time, I have had to be the Mold Inspector, LOL.  I am getting sooooo stressed.  What's next?  Meanwhile, John has been neutropenic, with no immune system, for a month.  Yes, we went to Hershey a month ago, and we were told the news.  This is the lowest his immune system has been since about his stem cell transplant.  *Sigh**

But John is staying out of bed and doing things!  He is happy!

Okay, we will keep you updated.  We really are generally upbeat.  Just somewhat exhausted, LOL.

Loving you,  Krissy :)

Tags: , , , ,

22 comments:

  1. When I started reading, I instantly thought 'kidney stones'... I get them frequently.  If it is, this is as close as John is gonna get to knowing what birthing a baby feels like.  ;-D

    hopefully, that's all it is.... ::crossing my fingers::

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been around much this summer but I always try and read your journal to keep updated with you and John, Krissy although I dont always comment.  Both of you are such an inspiration, no matter what comes your way you always try to be positive and optimistic.  I hope this scare turns out to be just a kidney stone or benign cyst.  My prayers are with you and John.  God bless you both and thank you for coming into my life, you a truly an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would think waiting would be folly, too.  Glad you guys are doing something about this.  John is always in my prayers, but you guys know this.  Please let me know what Dr. Claxton's office says as soon as you find out.  A car dealership is looking at John's kidney :-o !!  Why can't places just STOP making stupid little mistakes.  This happens CONSTANTLY.  ~sigh~.  Hang in there, you two!  Pet Mr. Michael for me.  Oh, speaking of Michael's, my Michael visited yesterday.  He looks really good.  He has a really nice g/f, Nicole.  Mike is living with his dad in State College and working at CiCi's Pizza.  Nicole lives with her mom.  Yep, he looks great!  Made me SMILE!!  Love ya!! xox
    http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

    ReplyDelete
  4.  You have so much stress right now.  I hope the mass is just a cyst.  You just don't need any more.

                  Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Right now you are doing the best thing you can do. Laughing, cracking some jokes. It is what it is and nothing can be done until it's done. You two are not alone. Oh and I want a complete entry on ..."The Mold Patrol" Gonna get you a Sherlock Holmes had and pipe! Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  6. One thing after another, Krissy. Hope it's a cyst and nothing more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will certainly keep John in my prayers. An you too dear Krissy.
    Hoping that it's only a stone or maybe a benign cyst. {{{}}}
    Big hug to John, & a shoulder for you to lean on.
    Blessings,
    Sugar

    ReplyDelete
  8. Krissy, you and John are both in my prayers that he gets good news. Wish I could be there to give you both a big hug in person then just via the computer.  We're here for you, bless you both. Arlene (AJ)

    ReplyDelete

  9. You are up to your neck in stress again and I wish I were there to hug you and help you.  Hopefully the car dealership will inform you it is a cyst and not cancer.    Dr. Donelan's office doesn't seem to be on the ball.
    And now that you are Mold Inspector I want you to come and inspect this old house of my dad's. lol.  You just hang in there again and know that I love you both and my prayers are always there for you.
                                                                      Myke

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there Krissy! Im glad you stopped by my journal/blog! HUUGs to you and John having to wait is a pain! I sure hope you hear somethign soon about the mass. In the mean time prayers are going up from over here. I will definately be praying and holding you both up to the  Lord! Im glad youre able to be somewhat calm about it! I sure pray its nothing serious.  take care and stop on back by my blog anytime.......In Him, densie

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do hope it`s nothing serious Krissy, I hope something is done quickly so you know what`s happening. Praying for you both.

    Love Sandra xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Krissy, this is worrysome!  And I am sure very stressful.  Please know that I am praying for you and thinking of you both!  Poor John, it's just one thing and then another. And poor you, with the mold and all that on top of your problems and your concerns about John. KEEP US POSTED about this.  Promise, Krissy?  I love you!  Merry

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just cannot imagine what stress you are going through.  Your faith must surely be seeing you through it all.  Of course as always you both are in my prayers.  We can only trust that our Father in heaven has a plan and in His plan we know that everything works for the good for those that love Him.  John has the right attitude for sure not letting it all get him down and doing things.  That's the way to be...we cannot let worry rob us of the happiness of today.  Love and prayers, 'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope beyond hope that it isn't cancer.  I will repeat myself, I don't like doctors.  They could care less about you, they just care about the money.  People die while they drag their feet.  I hope all will be good for you guys.  Take care.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  15. Funny - not funny, ha ha - I was driving us home from Los Angeles VA Med Center - and I had a sudden and urgent to pray for John and you.  As I prayed (I kept my eyes open, LOL) Rob was agreeing with me and lifting his hands to the Lord.  I am so glad you are following up with Dr Claxton.  May the Lord bless and keep you both. We will continue to pray.  We love you both,  Rob & Penny  http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/TimeforaLittlePoetry

    ReplyDelete
  16. glad you followed up.. and know my good thoughts and prayers are with you both.  I wish I had a magic wand
    hugs
    d

    ReplyDelete
  17. Krissy, I  just don't know what to say.  Sometimes I feel so lousy saying you're in my prayers (you both really are!) but I feel like I wish I could do something more.  I know prayer is the most powerful thing that God has given us- but still....  I'm glad you're both taking it all in stride- as usual.  I so admire your strength (both you and John).  I'm afraid I'd be an absolute basket case by now.  Hang in and stay faithful you guys.  We love you lots.  God Bless and keep you both~ Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. Let's just say the mold is keeping you busy while you are waiting.... let us know as soon as you hear anything...
    Big hugs!
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. GEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ........ It is one thing or another.. sorry you guys are going though all this BS..... Hopefully * CROSSES FINGERS* its just a Kidney stone and LOL if it is you better tell John its gonna hurt like hell LOLLLLLLLLLL


    Christopher

    http://journals.aol.com/cmarlow480/ChristophersJournal/

    ReplyDelete
  20. ((((((((((gentle hugs)))))))))))))  I have a cyst on my right kidney -- found during a ct-scan for some other problem.  I am praying for John and for you dearheart.  How is sleep going for you?
    loving you
    karyl

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Krissy...I'm June...I just heard from your sister Val and she sent me your link to check out your journal. I saw you mentioned Hershey Med...I too have been there.....I live in Enola, PA...ever heard of it? We are a small town across the river from Harrisburg. I hope everything turns out ok for John...you both are in my thoughts and prayers....June:)

    ReplyDelete
  22.     Relax, get some rest if possible and good luck with John. You guys are in my prayers, as always.
    Jude
    http://journals.aol.com/jmorancoyle/MyWay

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...