Thursday, December 13, 2007

John is having trouble w/ his immune system again

Hi.  Brrrr, it's chilly this morning.  And I am up too early.  Well, it's not that early, it's 7:24, but I'm tired for some reason.  And I've got too much to do today to go back to bed.  For one thing, I need to get fitted for bifocals.  I don't know if the lenses will be able to go into my current frames, or if I will  have to get new ones.  Either way, I am feeling old, LOL, and I am not yet 45.  Oh well.

I need to tell you all how John is doing.  I'm sorry I waited this long.  I was waiting to get results from tests he took this week so I could give you an accurate answer. 

First let me say that a lot of it is good.  His bacterial infection (sepsis) is completely gone.  He has a very high hemoglobin and hematicrit count.  Don't get scared off by the terms.  That just means he has enough energy because he got that blood transfusion.  He is finally in the normal range and has enough blood!  He hasn't been in the normal range in months and months, as far as having enough blood, or oxygen in his blood.  So we are excited.

His Creatinin level (this determines kidney function) is holding real well!  Still not great, but not at the level of needing to be dialyzed yet.  His bilirubin level is good, which means he does not have Hemalytic Anemia, which he used to have all the time.  Remember those blood transfusions he used to get all the time?  Sometimes as many as seven bags of blood (red blood cell packs) a day?  Every day?  Well, he doesn't have that problem at present.

Okay, now the problems.  While the platelets have come up, they are still too low.  The count is 90.  Normal is 150.  He told me he will NOT stop using his manual razor even though he could cut himself.  I didn't think he would stop.  There is no point in me hiding it, he would just ask for it back.  I believe him.  Or maybe he would go buy another one.  Hmmmmm.  Stubborn.  Then he made a good point.  The electric razor gives him razor burn, which could give him an infection because his white blood cells and ANC are low.  While a razor could cut him, it may not leave as bad an infection as the electric razor which just tears his neck up and makes him raw.  It is all a weighing game.  Which is worse, having a clotting problem or getting an infection?  Because platelets being at 90, he probably would clot anyway.  Probably.

I don't know if that last paragraph made sense to you, LOL.  All this medical stuff gets complicated.  I hope you are not bored and are still reading!

Finally, one more problem.  This is the bad part.  John's white blood cells and ANC are plummeting.  This is frightening to us.  They are doing it very quickly.  The doctors have no explanation for this. 

Recently he received three shots that made his immune system soar.  Above normal.  He should be doing really well.  He dropped down very quickly.  He just may be neutropenic by his next test on Monday, he dropped so very drastically. 

We are concerned about this for two reasons.  We wonder why it is happening.  Dr. Claxton in Hershey doesn't know.  The other reason we are concerned is he could get very sick again if he doesn't have an immune system.

So that is how he is doing.

So how am I doing?  Things have been really rough for me.  A lot has happened in the last two or three months that have been a real challenge.  I mean I am fine, but I am exhausted.  I just want a break - time to do some fun things.  I am looking forward to Christmas and spending time with John and my family, and not worrying about things I have worried about. 

I hope you all are having a great Advent season and time getting ready for Christmas.  This is truly a beautiful season!

Thank you all who have asked how John was doing.  Next time I will try to get an entry in sooner, as soon as John's tests are done.

Love you all, Krissy

        

34 comments:

  1. I am so please to hear of John's results and that his sepsis has disappeared.  I will pray that his immune system kicks in again and that you all have a really happy and contented Christmas.
    Take care
    God Bless you both.
    Jeanie xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. There was a lot of good news in your entry today so I'll be thanking the good Lord for his blessings in those areas.  I'll also pray that he lastest 'worry' of yours and Johns will be taken away and that you will have a 'Happy, restful, joyous Christmas.'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope things get better soon Krissy.
    Love to you and John.
    Hope you have a Happy Christmas.
    Hugs.
    Carolxx
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/carolelainedodd/a-quiet-life......i-wish/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not trying to break John's stuborness, just curious.. why doesn't he grow a beard?
    Then he wouldn't have to shave and deal with clotting/not clotting or infection.?

    Ok, Please know that you are both in my thoughts and prayers, always.

    Hang in there.

    I love you guys!

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wouldn't worry too much about the razor, Krissy. A count of 90 isn't good, but it's not catastrophic. I think the shots just gave his white cells an artificial boost, which his system is incapable of sustaining. Looks as if the drs have to find out why, and what to do about it. Have a good Advent time yourself :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. John's in my prayers!  Sending hugs to you!
    Missie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Merry Christmas, Emmi

    http://journals.aol.com/emmi2sweet/sweet--simple-pleasures/entries/2007/12/13/caroling-through-j-land/958

    ReplyDelete
  8. John's in my thoughts!  keep us posted ( you always do) :)
    ~~Make it a Great day~~

    Sharon

    http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/








    ReplyDelete
  9. All the medical stuff is above my head, but I just hope and pray John continues on his healing path. I wish you that peaceful time you long for with your husband and in order to enjoy the holidays.
    I also wanted to tell you that I am caroling through J-land and my song to share is here:
    http://journals.aol.com/nay0114/almost-paradise-ii/entries/2007/12/13/caroling-through-j-land--/1850
    Hope you all have a great day even if it's a long one.
    Take care, Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to agree with him on the razor. A larger area of irritated skin can be worse than a small cut from a razor. It's like he's between a rock and a hard place.
    Glad to hear he'd doing well, though.
    As for you....I worry about you. It's no wonder you are exhausted. You have been mentally and physically challenged by all of this for a long time. Each day you need to take a time out for YOU. Go get a manicure...or go for a walk, or go read in the park. Join a gym to exercise....or whatever you need to do to rejuvenate YOU. Even if it's just for an hour.
    Take care of yourself Krissy.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can never believe how much you remember Krissy you are wonderwoman.I wouldn't know which way to start expaling to people,all that you know and do for John..It would be double dutch to me if the docs told me all this and I had to remember it. I will pray everything changes for the better for Johns health to improve, and you and John are able to have one of the best Christmas's ever in your new home.Take Care God Bless Kath
    astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasnad/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  12. John with a beard?  Heh...never know....he might look all distinguished 'n stuff!  ;-D

    Take a break, sit down and have some tea and cookies, and snuggle with Michael.... for at least 30 minutes.  Maybe even grab a quick nap.  Dr. Amy's orders!  

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haven't been by in a while. Praying that John's immune system will be stronger soon. My daughter has Lupus and she suffers from some infections from time to time. I know though John is your priority, you need as much prayers and love as he does. Having a sick loved one takes a toll on the caregiver too. Hugs to you, my friend. And Merry Christmas to both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and John are in my prayers always.  Know the past months have been tough on you dear, always are when you care and love someone like you do John. Hope his platelets come up soon.  No don't think you'll get him to stop using the manual razor...guys can be stubborn about some things.  Hopefully the doctors can figure out what is going on with the drop in the white blood cells and ANC, know this is frightening for you both. Bless you both, enjoy each day dear. Arlene (AJ)  

    ReplyDelete
  15.  You are both in my prayers.  I know all this is so scary for you both.  Hope your holidays are merry.

                             Julie

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad you've updated us on John ... hugs and prayers your way for better results next round of blood work.  

    ReplyDelete
  17. I pray that he will be better for Christmas. My prayers are still with you both. I got bifocals around your age. My distance sight is still great though. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Krissy,

    I've nominated you for the Nice Matters Award.  Find info in my post:  http://www.writersnotes.net/nice-matters-award-a-bloggers-gift/ .

    Take care!
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  19. (((((((((((((KRISSY()))))))))))))))Just know I am always praying.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Krissy ~ I got the link to your journal via DSD group :o)  Sorry to hear about John, I'm glad there are some positives at least from those test results.  I'm glad to hear that you are okay too...........things can't be easy for you.

    Jenny

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife

    ReplyDelete
  21. I feel realy bad for John.  Having that sort of problem makes him susceptible to all sorts of viruses.  Hope you are holding up well.  Take care and have a good Friday.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, sweetie.  I am glad that John is doing well.  It is the cold that gets you tired along with everything else.  I have been busy with a family health problem myself.  Hang in there.  be a new yorker and think out loud, if even to the walls.  

    Sometimes I wonder what drives me.  But at 55, it is still driving me, so, why mess with a good thing.  

    I wish you the best, I should try to get into journalling more.  It would help.  I just Dropped one one John S in his journal about, being nice!

    Happy Holidays  LIZ

    http://journals.aol.com/redonionsauce/crochet

    ReplyDelete
  23. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband, John.  Please take care of YOU too.  Have a nice and relaxing day tomorrow.
    Hugs,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. you know I think of you both every day and include you in my prayers.. that will not stop
    hugs
    d

    ReplyDelete
  25. Sending prayers for you both...

    be well,
    Dawn
    http://journals.aol.com/princesssaurora/CarpeDiem/

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your both in my thoughts and prayers on the smoke! As for Bifocals, Doc just turned 44 and he's bemoaning the fact he has to get them. I asked which is worse wearing the Bifocals saving his eyesight or straining his eyes and losing eyesight pretending he isn't getting any older. Men can be so stubborn....Here's to hoping the Christmas season brings you all the love and peace you and John so richly deserve. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  27. Krissy, it just never stops.  At least it is good news/bad news but dang I wish it was all good news.  I pray for you and John all the time.  Sweetie, you have to be exhausted physically and emotionally.  LOL at the bifocals.  Don't feel bad, I was only in my early 40's when I got my first pair.  Turn on some Christmas music and Christmas lights and snuggle.....Love you, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just donated blood this past week and thought of John, each time I think of him and people like him that depend on those that donate. I pray he gets his white cells back in tact.  If you don't mind me asking, I know John has been sick for some time, I started reading your journal when you mentioned donating blood in his name, but I don't know what medical condition is hanging on to him :(

    Your both in my thoughts and prayers
    Hugs
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  29. I am glad to read john is doing much better but like many am worried about those numbers. My grandfather has Lung Cancer so I know the lingo when it comes to blood counts and platelete counts! what is weird is we just had an arguement with my grandfather about what he can and cannot shave with as he got a really bad staph infection when using his electric razor and was hospitalized. So after a few conversations it has been settled, he must visit a barber to perform those duties for him! LOL, he doesn't mind, it is man pampering as we joke with him about it! Okay so both of you take care and have a wonderful weekend!

    ~Nicole~

    ReplyDelete
  30. I tried by focals once and they made me dizzy. Now, I walk around the house with my reading glasses on a chain on my neck. Kind of a pain, but you get use to it.

    Quite a few of my regular readers are nurses or in the medical field and I was trained as a combat medic (U.S. Army 1966-1971), so I understand your terms. As always, your journal is an interesting read. Hope John feels better.

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  31. Sissy, they can do all kinds of things with glasses now, so I wouldn't worry too much.  I bet you can still use your beautiful frames!  If not, I will help you pick out a new one, PROMISE!  So, why doesn't John just NOT shave.  Is that a possibility??  LOL  Doesn't he want to be Santa at Xmas time??  Hmm... I love you so much, my dear... Love, Val xox
    http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

    ReplyDelete
  32. Krissy,
    John remains in my prayers....and you do as well.  I am happy you appreciate that movie, the way I do. Pass it along....you never know who may need the inspiration!  Hugs to you ~ Irene

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hold on to the good news and praise God for it.  Give God the bad news and trust Him with it.  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  34. I'm probably going to get ANOTHER staph infection..... for the second time!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...