Monday, December 17, 2007

we may get evacuated

I shouldn't be up at 3 am.  Just a little nervous.  I did sleep for four hours though, then got up.  The reason I'm nervous is because we were told we might have to evacuate Hope Lodge (where the cancer patients and their caregivers stay) suddenly.  Maybe even tonight in the middle of the night.  See, the ice storm is causing people to lose electricity, heat, water, everything. The water company us called tonight.  They said please try use as little water as possible.  They are down to their emergency supply.

We were told by the manager on duty that she was being phoned in by others, and was being told that power lines were down, and that electricity was turned off allover the place.  That also meant no heat.  The manager of the Lodge, at her house, has no electricity, heat, water, or anything at all.  She phoned in and told us.  She lives very close by.  So we need to be prepared to evacuate if necessary.

When I heard this, I immediately went to John's and my room and prepared.  First thing I did was get out one of our suitcases (well we really have dufflebags), and threw in all of our medications.  That is most immediate b/c without John's transplant meds he would die.  I also need my diabetes meds, etc.

I put in my purse, our wallets, cell phones, cell phone chargers, vital things like that.  Our car keys.  That's about all that would fit.  except a few clothing items for John and his toilet articles.  I zipped it up.

Then I filled another bag.  I took our box of, what is it, I think it is Ginger Ale.  I think it is cans of Ginger Ale.  Now I am imagining you can drink Ginger Ale if you are real thirsty.  It doesn't have caffeine and it should quench your thirst, right?  Provided there is no water where we are going and the water is out, Ginger Ale may be a good choice.  We will need something to drink, right?  Can't be that bad.  I then stuff two bottles of water into the bag.  The last two bottles of bottled water we have.  Then I remembered we had one container left of distilled water that we had brought for my CPAP machine.  Well a half a bottle of water.  So I put that in the bag also.  At least we will be able to drink something if we are stuck somewhere.  If nobody mugs us to get the water!  Oh, and I put a shirt on top of the water when I was done.  This will serve two purposes.  A change of clothing, and to hide our stash.

Okay, I didn't tell you that we would probably be evacuated to the hospital.  Possibly to the lobby, but who cares.  They have generators there, and as long as I am not cold, it is okay.  I don't know if they would run out of food or not, or water to wash dishes, so I got to thinking, I better pack some food, LOL.  So I got together to plastic grocery bags of food.  Nothing ridiculous, something sensible.  I put items in there you didn't need a can opener for, because I didn't have one.  I had some food with pop top lids anyway.  I noticed I had quite a bit of food that I could bring for John and me.  If anything happens we are not going to starve to death. 

I also found plastic silverware, small paper plates, plastic cups, and some napkins.  Then in the hall closet I found a bunch of rolls of toilet paper, and thought, uhm, yes.  If they pack people in the hospital, they could just perhaps run low, LOL.  So I stuffed that in the grocery bag. 

I got strange stares from my packing spree.  I was told by some there that they were just going to go to a shelter such as a Red Cross one, which would be well stocked, and why was I preparing?  I said we wanted to be at the hospital.  And how would you know what they had?  Isn't it always good to be prepared?  Perhaps I am silly.

At any rate, it is good to have your medications.  Most went to bed without packing them.  How are they going to find them if they have to evacuate quickly in the middle of the night?  If they are told to get out, they will be stumbling around in the dark looking for them.  For some of them, it will be a life threatening situation.  I hope all of the transplant patients have their medications packed up.  They will die without their meds, possibly. 

I'm just glad I did what I did.  We have it planned.  We already have the food in the car, waiting for us.  In our bedroom we have the black dufflebag with our medicines, etc,. in it.  If the lights go out, John will grab that one, because it is too heavy for me.  I will grab the other bag by the door.  It has our water and drinks in it.  We will also grab our coats and go.  My coat is laying on top of my bag I am going to grab.  You see, I am a planner, LOL.

Poor John is in bed fully dressed, LOL.  He wasn't feeling too well today.  When he is not feeling well he gets what looks like black eyes, especially on his upper eye lids.  They turn black and red.  We have never figured out what causes him to have what looks like black eyes yet.  He doesn't have a fever, so we don't know what's wrong.  A super compromised immune system?  An infection? 

Maybe we will get a clue tomorrow.  He will be having tests in the morning and an appointment in the afternoon with Dr. Claxton.  Provided the cancer clinic at the hospital continues to operate.  I think the hospital is a good place to be stranded if you have to be stranded somewhere.

Yes, this has been one ice crazy storm.  I took some photos.  If they came out I will share them when I get back home.  

If you don't hear from me for awhile, then you will know that I maybe got evacuated and couldn't get to a computer.  There is one at the hospital, but they may cut off it's usage if power is limited.  I don't have a laptop. 

I'll let you know soon if everything is fine.

Thanks for letting me ramble, Krissy :)


Tags:

32 comments:

  1. I think that you were wise to prepare like that. I hope your power doesn't go out but you will be packed and ready in case it does. I hope you have a small flashlight in case it's needed. Good luck to John. Prayers are going up that he can be helped and that you two can be home for Christmas. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krissy, I think it's a very good thing to be prepared.  What you are going through is just terrible.  I'm praying that you and John can stay put and get to that hospital today.  You have to be a nervous wreck.  I know I would be.  Love n Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you got the worst part of that ice...it wasn't so bad here, but we got quite a bit of snow.  I do hope and pray you didn't lose the power and were able to stay.
    'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck to you both. I hope everything works out ok.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, I sure hope everything is okay, I've seen on the news about the ice storms your way and loss of power.  But girl, get some SLEEP!
    Love
    Ang

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you don't have to evacuate, Krissy - if you do, you're well prepared

    ReplyDelete
  7. (((((((((((((KRISSY))))))))))))))))))I am praying that both of you will be ok and that the ice storm blows over and the heat comes back on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that you and John will be OK and that you are not evacuated.
    Try and rest though if you can Krissy.
    Carolxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you guys are safe and warm.  And, all is okay.  Hugs, LuAnne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Man when it rains it freezes for you guys.  Hope everything works out OK.  Take care and stay warm.


                     Julie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, there's nothing wrong with thinking ahead and being prepared! I hope you don't have to evacuate, but it sounds like you are ready if you do! {{{Hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did well in your planning. I would have done the same thing. We have the Ice Storm here too...and many are without power. Luckily my power kept going out but then always turned back on. Today it seems the winds have stopped...so hopefully if the temp rises we will be in the clear soon. Take good care....June

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sure hope you didn't get evacuated!  Sending prayers!
    Missie

    ReplyDelete
  14. (((((((((((John and Krissy))))))))))) I sure hope you don't loose power at the lodge; and I am impressed with how prepared you are-not silly at all. You would be more comfortable. You 2 are so strong to keep enduring all this time after time on a daily basis.
    Such as it is, Merry Christmas and God's most abundant blessings, Deb ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have done everything any sensible person would have done Krissy.  It is as well to be prepared for everything. Even if you don't need it in the long run.  I hope all goes well and you don't have to evacuate and that all goes well with his results at the hospital. Never mind the stares you are having from others.  You have thought of everything.  well done to you.  I will pray for John's good health.
    God Bless and stay safe!!
    Hugs
    Jeanie xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh Krissy that is just terrible, I hope you don't have to be evacuated but if you do, you and John will be fine, cause he has you and you are doing a great job, a great planner indeed...
    Big Hugs!!
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, we'll be anxious to hear how you came out, storm wise.  I'm watching "Regis & Kelly" this morning and apparently New York did not get the storm that was predicted.   Hoepfully you folks didn't either. Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  18. You would do great living in Florida - hurricane preparedness is the same.  We kept a bag of stuff at the ready come hurricane season every year....

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Krissy sounds like you are prepared for all you and John will need, good girl for taking control of that.  Know it's bad news with all the weather and outages, lets hope the power stays on and you don't have to evacuate.  Give John my best, you both take care. Hope all of Johns' test go well and Dr. Clxton gives you good news. Arlene (AJ)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are one smart cookie.               Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very wise of you to prepare for it krissy.Prayers being said everything goes fine,and you do not have to leave.Take Care God Bless Kath
    astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  22. I do not think you were nuts to pack and be prepared.
    You go girl!

    I am keeping you both in my thoughts and prayers.

    Hope you are back online soon.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  23. I hope you two are ok.  Please let us know how you are doing when you are able to.

    Take care,
    Antonette

    ReplyDelete
  24. You were smart to have everything ready to go. But I sure hope you don't have to go.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  25. I hope everything turned out OK and that you were able to stay warm as well.  Take care.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  26. Krissy, it's always good to have a plan and be prepared!  Good for you!  I sure hope John is OK and gets well enough that you both can get home for Christmas.  God Bless and be careful when you have to drive! Love Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm continually praying, and I can't wait to catch up soon!  
    Stay strong.
    Kellen

    ReplyDelete
  28. Well, it's evening on Tuesday now, so I imagine that you may have been evacuated.  People forget sometimes that when there is no power at night, it's not as if one can SEE.  Well, w/out flashlights or something.  I hope you won't need all the extra supplies, but the medicines, yes, I'd likely have mine available to grab.  Just in case.

    I hope any "adventure" turns out just fine.  Ice is dangerous, even while it's also so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. You and John as well as all the others who could be evacuated are in my thoughts and prayers! I will be thinking of you all! If you are evacuated I hope it goes smoothly and without any complications! bundle up and take care!

    ~Nicole~

    ReplyDelete
  30. Sending you both warm wishes and lots of love.
    Sylvia xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think it was a good idei to pack as many things as possible that's what I would do anyway.. NOT silly at all. I sure hope john feels better. I'm not to sure what's going on with him exactly cause I havn't read all your entrys I guess I need to catch up. Stop by my journal sometime hope to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...