Saturday, December 22, 2007

our crazy electricity situation/ and some ice photos

Hi you all.  John and I are home safe.  We got home Wednesday.  I'm really sorry I didn't do an entry sooner.  A lot of crazy things have been going on this week, one thing after another, and I just didn't get a chance to do an entry before now.

If you remember, the last time I posted, I mentioned we might possibly be evacuated from Hope Lodge.  Well, in that ice storm, a total of 160,000 homes around us did end up losing electricity (which of course includes light, water, and heat, b/c all of these things are generated by electricity).  

So if you remember, I posted on Monday, December 17 that we might be evacuated from Hope Lodge.  Yes, I did do that post at about 3 am, LOL.  At about 6 am, John and I decided to go over to the hospital (Hershey Medical Center).  We wanted to make it there before the electricity went out at Hopoe Lodge.  We didn't want to be stumbling around in the dark, looking for our medications, and such things that we had collected to take with us in case of an evacuation.

Well, we got to the hospital, and went to the cafeteria and ate a delicious breakfast.  Then John and I went to the Cancer Clinic and he got labwork done.  That morning the lights kept surging on and off.  It made me nervous.  I tried to stay out of the elevators as much as possible.

Then I kept hearing something odd.  I kept hearing the power was off in Hershey.  Finally I got the story.  A truck had slid on ice and knocked into a transformer.  The power was out in Hershey!  I was told the hospital was being run by a generator.

Hope Lodge is down the street from the hospital, about a mile, but technically in a different town.  Hope Lodge still had power, LOL.  I evacuated one place, that had power, to get to another that had no power!  But at least the hospital had a generator. 

John and I went to his appointment while at Hershey Medical Center that afternoon.  I will tell you about how it went in the next entry, because this entry is getting too long.  I wanted to end this by showing you some photos of trees in the ice storm.

While ice can be pretty dangerous, and cause damage, I also think it is pretty.  I love seeing ice glitter off the trees.  All the trees in these photos are laden with ice, not snow. 

Aren't they pretty?

Love you all, Krissy :)

                  

             


             

28 comments:

  1. (((((((((((((((KRISSY)))))))))))))I am glad you guys are safe and sound.Thos pics are beatiful.Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh those pictures are beautiful Krissy.  Trees look fantastic when covered in ice.  Glad that all is well with you and John.

    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jeanno43/JeannettesJottings/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, the trees are beautiful, but I still would rather be in Florida .  Merry Christmas'
    Dawn              

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have had hoare frost for a week now here in the English Lake District.  I took photos of it yesterday as we had to expect rain today and it is falling as I type.
    Unfortunately I can't find my camera adapter to upload them onto my computer.  When I do I will share them too.  I love to see frost glisten just like you.
    So glad you ate a hearty breakfast even though the expected power cut happened in  the place where you least expected it to.  That's the way of the world...isn't it?
    The best laid plans....and all that.
    Hoping John's hosptial tests turn out positive and helpful.
    Jeanie
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/kirkbyj05/DaytoDayLifeintheLakes/

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW hershey did get harder then lamcaster! our pine tree looked like that but not for long, the snow meleted it quick!


    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy to read you are both fine Krissi and the pictures are beautiful just like on postcards.Thats how I love ice and snow.Haa.No other way.I am a bumpsy daisy down on the floor person, in that white stuff,so I love it on postcards but not around me.LOL!! Have a lovely weekend.My Christmas Message to all of J/Land is in my latest post.God Bless Kath
    astoriasand http://journals.aol.co.uk/astoriasand/MYSIMPLERHYMES

    ReplyDelete
  7. Strange situation, Krissy. It's clear it's not snow on those trees, as some of the branches have collapsed under the weight of the ice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am glad that you and John are home for Christmas. Your icy pictures are beautiful. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I had Nicci at Hershey on Thursday, I couldn't believe all the damage done by the storm!
    Missie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the ice pictures I think it's beautiful too. Glad you and John are safe.
    Hope you guys have a merry christmas.
    Take care, Chrissie (DSD)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that the two of you are back home again.  Looks like a pretty good ice storm with lots of accumulation.  Pretty....but causes so many problems.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you are home!! too funny about leaving maybe no power for no power, always an adventure for you guys....
    Beautiful Pictures!!
    Have the Merriest Christmas ever!!!
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Krissy, they sure are pretty but yowza....that one tree is bent in half.  Thank the Lord for generators.  I hope all is well with John.  Love you, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hear ice storms can be very bad.  I really don't know, it is cold here this morning but and ice storm just doesn't happen here.  Maybe a little bit of frost and that is all.  Have a good weekend.

    Phil

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for stopping by my journal. :-) Where do you live? Ice is pretty but we had an ice storm in Kansas and we were without electic for 6 days. Sure seemed longer that 6 days!! lol We used a generator and it cost $25 a day; hate to think what it would cost now. lol We have wet snow now & things are getting slick out! Even thundering which is weird with snow. Praying things go well for you while you are at the hospital. God Bless, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so thankful that you and John are home.  I hope you have a wonderful Christmas together.

    Take Care,
    Antonette

    ReplyDelete
  17. All the hospitals I've worked in have generators. They have to 'cause of the medical equipment.
    I'm glad you are home safe. Have a good holiday.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, look at that ice!  Yes, it IS pretty, but can be dangerous.  I am so glad you are home safe!  When do you have to go back?  Love, Val xox
    http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bery glad to read both you and  John are doing just great! Love the pictures! The Ice is very beautiful but Burrr way to cold for this Arizona girl! Again glad to hear everything went just fine! Take care.

    ~Nicole~

    ReplyDelete
  20. wow look at those pictures. Ice can sure be dangerous. We had an ice storm here but it wasn't as bad as they said it was going to be.

    ReplyDelete
  21.  Very pretty and very very dangerous.  Take care.

                  Julie

    ReplyDelete
  22. you're so right.. pretty but dangerous.  Glad you two are ok.  Want to wish you both a very Merry Christmas... may 2008 be filled with all good things.
    Hugs to you my friend
    d

    ReplyDelete
  23. Krissy so glad you and John are now home safely, may you both have a beautiful and blessed Christmas.  The pictures are pretty, but after being stranded in an ice storm for a week in Ohio, I'm not wild about ice.  LOL.  Bless you both, Arlene (AJ)

    ReplyDelete

  24. I am so glad you are safe.  The ice storm really took its toll.  It is so dangerous and I am glad you both made it through that ok.  The ice is beautiful when the sun shines on it or the moon and it looks like a Wonderland.  The snow here looks that way.  MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU BOTH AND I LOVE YOU.

                                                                                   MYKE

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yes, very beautiful but makes for many problems.  I'm so glad you and John didn't have to do without.  -  BArbara

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful pictures but so destructive.  Besides that...ice & snow runs up the electric bill if you have electric heat.  Happy to hear you're home safe & sound.  Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm glad you are home safe and sound and can be celebrating Christmas together in your new home.  Thank the good Lord for His many blessings !  'On Ya' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my gosh!  Look at that ice!  No wonder the electricity has been a bit crazy.  

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...