Thursday, June 10, 2004

Attack of the Cicadas!

There was no entry yesterday because I had no time to write one.  I got up before dawn to go with my sister Valerie and my Dad to Johns Hopkins Hospital.  We left at 5:30 AM and I got home around 8:30 PM.  It was a long day with a lot of doctor's appointments and a lot of travel.  After the day I was too tired to write but I thought now would be a good time.

The physician's are still trying to determine which surgery to give my sister, but are leaning towards the original brain surgery that they had thought about.  They should call in the next few days and let her know.  The surgery will be July 7th. 

One thing that kept us entertained on the trip were the cicadas.  As we left Pennsylvania and crossed into the Maryland line, bugs began flying into the car.  They were flying from the trees, across the highway, and into the cars.  Many of them were giant!  Valerie said that some of them were as large as two inches but I think some of them were larger.  They looked that way to me.  My dad said some of them looked the size of small birds.  My dad had to periodically put on the windshield wipers to wipe the cicada juice of the windshields.  They would splat against and it would sound loud like popcorn.  Or chocolate pudding being thrown against the window!  The strange thing is we would scream "Eww," or "Gross" and then duck.  It was funny that we were ducking because it was not like the cicadas could get us through the windshield!  We also heard a lot of high pitched buzzing even with the windows rolled up.  It was such a strange scene seeing these thing flying all around and splattinag.  It reminding me of a scene from that movie The Birds.

My sister Valerie said that it was nothing like when she had gone to Johns Hopkins with my father two days earlier.  There had been so many more that the cicadas were completely coating the windshields at times that they couldnt see through the windshield at times.  My dad had nearly exhausted his wiper fluid.  When they got back from Baltimore my dad had to take the car somewhere to try to get the juice off. 

My Dad told me that if he found out that cicadas were ok to eat he would eat one.  I asked if I could quote him on that.  He said yes.  I told him he had better mean it, because I was going to.  He said that people eat stranger things, like shrimp.  He said if he found out that they were ok to eat, and knew how to cook them, he might try one.

To each his own. 

3 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that your sister is going to brain surgery, well most likely. I Hope that everything will go right. You did not have time to write a journal entry? Thats okay, I think that everyone has a day where they do not have time. So so many bugs as I read! Reminds me of my grandmas ranch. I was still young, but a huge bug flew into my mouth. I did not know what it was, so I just chewed. When  got to my grandpas car I spit it out on the car. I was aiming for the ground but hit the car because I was in the car. It was gross! I never going to let my mouth open around bugs again! I Hope that you have a good day, bye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I saw Cincada recipes on the AOL Welcome Screen a couple weeks back, so you may be able to get him to eat his words!! haha...little red eyed thing...we are supposed to be eaten up with them here too, but as of yet, we have only seena bout 10 or so....THANK goodness!! I hope we get lucky!!..It would be like "the nirds"...running to my car, swatting and screaming..they are too big to enjoy and too loud!!...and those red eyes....EWWWWW....best of luck with your sister..I had a close cousin have a heart transplant a couple years ago, so I can only imagine your worries right now...God works wonders...I wish you the best of luck!

    Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sorry to hear that your sister will most likely be having brain surgery.  But I think Johns Hopkins is one of the best places she could be.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...