Saturday, September 11, 2004

September 11th

It has been three years since that tragic day of September 11, 2001 when over 3,000 Americans had their lives taken from them by those who hate our freedom.  But we will never forget those who died that day at the World Trade Center, The Pentagon, and in the downed plane in Pennsylvania. 

Every year on September 11th the names of those who have died are read aloud on television.  My sister-in-law Shawn wrote a poem commemorating those who lost their lives during this tragedy. 

I Remember What You Taught Me

I remember what you taught me
When I heard your names first called
That you had granted the ultimate gift
And laid down your life for us all

I remember what you taught me
With your selfless sacrifice
That freedom is a gift to treasure
No more an inviolate right

I remember what you taught me
When I read of your lasting strength
That a life lived daily to the fullest
Is our greatest defense

I remember what you taught me
When I say my prayers each night
That I'm proud to be an American
Who won't go down without a fight!

Shawn Catherine Fisher

Copyright 2004 Shawn Catherine Fisher

Preview

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for not forgetting what changed our nation forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a beautiful poem.  Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful poem by your sister.  Today we remember all the Nationalities who died in the Trade Centre tragedy and pray that nothing like it will ever happen again. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beautiful poem, god bless America, my thoughts are with you today on the anniversary................Jules xxx
    http://journals.aol.co.uk/jules19642001/Itsmylife/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kris, thanks for sharing this poem on the anniversary of such a horrific and sad day.  Shawn's poem gave me chills.  She is a beautiful writer -  Always has been and always will be.  Love you! xoxox  P.S. I am lighting a candle tonight for peace.  Want to join me in spirit from your home?
    http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ValsThoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. ((((((((((((KRISSY)))))))))))
    Thanks for sharing that poem
    Chelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is so beautiful...It does make you sit and realize just how lucky we all are to be raised in this country...It's faults sometimes hide this, but who has it better that us?...No one....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing your sisters beautiful poem.  

    Monica

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful tribute...

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful poem
    ~jerseygirl
    http://journals.aol.com/cneinhorn/WonderGirl  

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...