Monday, February 12, 2007

gas leaks

Nothing like a gas leak in my apartment to keep me off line for a couple of days.  Well, really two gas leaks.  

John and I got home from Hershey on Thursday afternoon and walked into the apartment.  We thought we smelled gas, but then we thought it was our imagination.  So we set everything down, and lay down for a nap.  Five hours later we were kind of overcome and stupid and just laying there.  We kept telling each other we smelled gas, but weren't doing anything about it.  Finally I got with it and said, "John get the phone number of the landlord and bring me the phone!  We have to call."  So the landlord and his brother came over.  They were bowled over by the amount of gas in the apartment.  They turned off a valve and we left the apartment.  I am glad we didn't wait any longer or we would have been overcome.

We scooped up the cat, shoved him into his carrier, and went to my parents to spend the night.  At about 5 AM I called our general practitioner, who told us to go to the ER because our symptoms were getting worse.  We were told that we didn't have anything in our bloodstream, but we did in our tissue.  I had a bad headache, sore throat, and was so parched and thirsty.  I still have all of those things, but am a lot better.  John had a headache and was so thirsty.  

I have the days mixed up, because it is all one big blur, but at some point we packed everything up and went back to the apartment (Friday?) and we instantly ran out again.  Even though the landlord said he had fixed the gas leak, the place obviously had a leak.  So we grabbed Kitty again and ran out.  Back to my kind parents we went.  We called up the landlord and told him he would have to fix the problem quick.

The landlord's workman called on John's cell the next morning while we were at my parent's.  He told him that the leak was now fixed, and that we had a new stove/oven.  Whoopdedoo.  Anyway, we are now back at the apartment.  We aired it out and it is quite fresh in here.  Fresher than it has been in days.

Which makes me think.  I think we have been slowly gassed for weeks.  John has had this cough and headache for a month.  I have had bad headaches for a month.  John has been parched and drinking huge amounts of bottled water that whole time.  My sister Valerie used to live in these apartments.  She was being slowly gassed for about three weeks before they realized it and gave her a new stove.  This morning was the first morning John said that he woke up without his cough.  Just wondering...

Anyway, switching subjects for a minute...  on Wednesday after the transfusion Mitzi called John.  He has to see the spleen surgeon on Wednesday of this week!  Mitzi wants us to come back to Hershey on Tuesday and Wednesday (yes, that soon).  So it is another trip down on Tuesday.  John is going to talk to the spleen surgeon and find out when he will have his spleenectomy.  

Later on in the week when I get back from Hershey I am going to have my sleep study test for Sleep Apnea and Narcolepsy.  It starts on one night, and goes through the whole next day.  I am exhausted just thinking about it!

Then I am going to be out of town this weekend, so entries from me will be light this week.

Please don't expect a Photo Scavenger Hunt this weekend.  Sorry, John and I are going to be out of town. 

Okay, I guess that is enough for now.  Sorry if this was too long. 

Love you all,  Krissy :)  

Tags: , , , , , ,

28 comments:

  1. Wow I'm so glad you got the gas leak sorted. Very dangerous!
    Good luck on the trip to Hershey.  I wish you and John the best.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez Krissy,
    That could have been so much worse.  Years ago one house in the neighborhood actually blew to smithereens because of a leak like that.  The guy was on the phone with the gas company.  They told him to get out, get out now.  Not five minutes after he was out the house exploded.  I am SO HAPPY you guys are alright.

    Good luck at the surgeon's appoiontment on Wednesday.  The weather here in the East is supposed to be rough on Wednesday.

    I haven't thanked you for your journal in a while.  Your words always help me.  And, when are you going to send some new pics of you?  You promised.  I want to see the new you.  Hugs, Lu

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so thankful you were able to get out of there safely.  I guess the good Lord was watching out for you both !  Take good care -- I'll be praying as always!
    'On ya ' - ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you woke and spotted it when you did Krissy, gas leaks can be lethal. Best of luck at Hershey this week! Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank God you woke up and got out of there!!!  OMG!!!!  Krissy.. maybe both of you will start feeling better...  I'd be thinking like you.. it can cause so much.
    hugs and love ya
    d

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG!!!!!! I am so glad you got out of there. So glad your landlord fixed the problem too. All the headaches you and John were getting most likely were from the gas leak. Tell John I wish him the very best with having splen removed. He's been through so much, and is still going strong. You got yourself one strong willed hubby there. Try and keep us posted, if not let us know when you return home. ((((((((hugs to you both))))))))))
    Love,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank God you guys are OK and you had your wits about you to get out!!!!!  

    Hope the rest of the week is non-eventful and John gets the answers he needs in Hershey this week.  I'll be praying for you both.

    ((hugs))
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was way to close for comfort and you certainly are lucky you got out.  Hope everything works out OK with John's appointment.

                    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG I am so glad you are ok Krissy and John!  Hope you feel better soon.  Relax and enjoy your trip together.  We will all be here waiting to hear all the details!  Have a wonderful day! xox Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  10. SOMEONE was watching over you guys...Thank You Jesus.
    Hope the Landlord pays that er visit for yall.
    Take care and be well...God bless...love ya,
    carlene

    ReplyDelete
  11. omg you are so lucky to be alive krissy .

    ReplyDelete
  12. atleast I got a stove out of the deal... LOL  let's see who can come up with the funniest tags!  LOL  So, I DID NOT get a new stove, my stove caught on FIRE!!  THEY HAD to give me a new stove... LOL  My kitchen caught on fire.. LOL  Oh my.  So DO NOT trust that it is totally fixed, Krissy, please, keep checking to see that the line is okay!  You have alot to do!  I will keep in touch on my end!  Love, Val xox

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so glad you are okay. I think God was watching over you. Big hugs to you both.
    Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my gosh what an awful experience.  I've never had gas appliances so have not had any experience with it.  But I know it can be very dangerous.  So happy to hear that everyone is ok...and to think you've had the symptoms for weeks...God's hand was certainly protecting you, John and Michael.   Linda in Washington  

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank God you are OK.  I hope this hasn't cause you any long term problems. I shudder to think what could have happened. You guys definitely have angels on your shoulders. I'm so glad you're safe.
    Hugs, Barb

    ReplyDelete
  16. (((((((((((((((((((((((((KRISSY/JOHN))))))))))))))))))))I am so glad you both are ok,you both are still in my prayers.I hope it all goes well with the sleep test.Have a nice week.

    http://journals.aol.com/hugsdoodlewacky/Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  17. Bless your heart dear, what a horrid experience with the gas leak!  Praise the Lord that you all survived and are now safe with the new stove.  It does sound like the leak had been ongoing slowly for awhile and getting worse.
    I am praying re your John's spleen surgery and for you too, as you care for him.
    I found your blog by way of LuAnne's journal.
    loving you
    karyl

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing about the gas/stove...glad you are both okay, now!  Sounds like you have a busy week.  Hope all goes well!  Take care, Jae

    ReplyDelete
  19. Praying for you and John!  How awful about the gas leak!  Yikes!  Who knows how long that could have been affecting you!

    I hope you can let us know what is going on from Hershey... sending lots of love.

    be well,
    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Krissy, Thank goodness you weren't gassed to death! Wow!  That is something!  I am glad you got out of there.  Good luck with the sleep test, and Good luck to John as he continues to have to do all that he has to do to try to be well.   You are always in my prayers, and I think of you often.  Merry

    ReplyDelete
  21. i am so happy you are ok.  
    noelle


    http://journals.aol.com/rayne1123/ThewaysofRayne/

    http://journals.aol.com/rayne1123/a-journey-through-my-second-preg/

    http://journals.aol.com/rayne1123/photography/

    ReplyDelete
  22. OH MY!!!! Thank God it is all fixed now.... Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  23. Glad it's all fixed, Krissy, that was a close shave.

    ReplyDelete
  24. you both could have died gezzz glad they fixed the problem:) have a good week

    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  25. So glad God kept you safe and sound!!  -  Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  26. Glad you got out when you did, gas is nothing to take lightly.  Hope the after effects are all short lived.  By the way, I'm sorry I haven't been participating lately in the Scavenger Hunts.  I have just been so racked for time lately, and I haven't had anything readily available to post.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  27. whew!!!!  Krissy, next time you smell gas get out!!!!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  28. It sounds like you both very well could have been being gassed all along, especially with the symptoms you are describing.  So glad they got you a new stove!  Hope the problem is solved now.

    Hugs and prayers for you both!~

    Blessings!~

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...