Here I sit at Hope Lodge. It's Thursday night. Well, I guess it's really Friday morning now, it's 12:30 AM. As I sit here I think back about this crazy week.
Monday was spent getting ready to come to Hershey. Tuesday was spent driving through a snowstorm to get here. Fortunately we beat the worst of the storm and got in. It snowed heavily all day and night. We awoke to snow on Wednesday morning so treacherous that we couldn't drive to the hospital, even though it was only a few minutes away. So we called the hospital and they sent a four wheel vehicle to come and pick us up.
John had three appointments on Wednesday. First he met with the spleen surgeon. Next he got three immunizations for when he will have his spleenectomy. Finally he met with the anesthesiologist.
The spleen surgeon decided that John would have his spleen removed in three and a half weeks. John is going to see Dr. Claxton in two and a half weeks, and then have the spleenectomy the week after that.
The spleen surgeon (I think his name is Dr. Hallock) told John that he was a "low risk patient", undergoing "medium risk surgery". To be honest with you, I don't like the sound of medium risk part. I was excited to find that John was low risk patient. It is because his heart is in good condition, he was physically active before his transplant, and because he is young.
So gee, how am I feeling about all this? I'm not sure. I'm just tired I guess. I am just a little nervous. I am waiting for the other shoe to fall. This is silly, I know. This is a simple procedure, and God has everything under control. And whatever He wants to happen will happen anyway. It is just that I am a little nervous is all. When the surgeon was explaining the complications he said there was a 5% chance of puncturing a bowel or the stomach. I asked about the death rate of that, and he told me that out of all his patients that hehas punctured, none have died! Yikes! Sheesh. He has punctured! He also said that there is a chance of dying because you don't have your spleen, but it is very, very small. I am not worried about that.
So anyway, on Wednesday when the appointments were over, we had to use the hospital service again to catch a ride back to Hope Lodge. The roads were so bad I was wondering if we would make it. But we did. Needless to say, we didn't leave for home on Wednesday like we had originally planned. Nor Thursday (today). We are going to try to make it for tomorrow (Friday). We shall see. The TV said this was the worst storm in 15 years.
If you are the praying type, please pray for safe travel home for us, and for John's upcoming spleenectomy. Thanks.
love you all, Krissy :)