Saturday, December 9, 2006

blood transfusion reaction

John and I are off to the local hospital.  He appears to be having a reaction to a blood transfusion he had today (Friday).  Please don't worry, it is only mild - hives.  But the instruction sheet says that if this at all occurs, to come to the emergency room immediately.  So I guess that is what we'll do.  I'll let you know what happens when we get back.  From what I have read on the net, it can be controlled with antihistemines.  PLEASE, no Hershey...

Love and take care, Krissy 

Edit:  It is now 4:20 and we just got home.  It was indeed an allergic reaction that he had, but the doctor said it was not from the blood transfusion.  The reason was because it was too localized, and not over his whole body.  She reached this conclusion after calling John's local oncologist's associate.  After giving John benadryl and tylenol (which he can have more of over the next few days), she told him to go to his local oncologist on Monday so he can look at John's rash again.  I don't quite understand that.  If it is not related to the transfusion, why would he be visiting an oncologist instead of his regular primary care physician.  But she said the oncologist could see if John had an allover rash.  That would indicate a blood transfusion reaction.  That sounds contradictory to me.  Hmmm.  Ok, so anyway tomorrow I will write an update in this journal on what has been going on with John.  I haven't done that in a few days. 

Krissy :)

16 comments:

  1. I'm praying you don't have to go back to Hershey again Krissy. Let's hope your local emergency room can sort it out for you. Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds contradictory to me too Krissy! If it gets any worse or spreads maybe that will tell you it's transfusion related, let's hope it clears away quickly, John has been through enough already, have a peaceful weekend and see what they say on Monday. Jeannette xx  

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((KRISSY/JOHN))))))))))))))))))))I am praying for you both.love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am happy you did not have to go back to hershey.  i do hope monday they say john is in the clear with this rash.
    hugs
    noelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you didn't have to go to Hershey, hopefully the rash is nothing. I will keep you both in prayer.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whew...another close call.   Glad it's turning out well.

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope everything turms out good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read the "Joy to the World" entry, first.  I guess it is not clear yet what it is, other than it is not the transfusion...let us know when it is figured out!  Jae

    ReplyDelete
  9. Krissy just hang in there, glad you got John in to see the Doctor to be on the safe side. Glad he's back home, relax and enjoy the weekend dear....Arlene (AJ)

    ReplyDelete
  10. (((((((((((((((((((((KRISSY & JOHN)))))))))))))) Hope it's nothing major and pray no Hershey! Take good care, Deb

    ReplyDelete

  11. Krissy, when I saw your entry alert I thought "Oh No" back to Hershey.  Glad you didnt have to go there.  If John just has hives the antihistimine will help.  I get them at times and they itch terribly.  I am glad you are home and hope you stay there.  Tell John that I demand he get better so I can stop worrying.  Love to you both.   And HUGS                           Myke

    ReplyDelete
  12. hope the reaction is gone as quick as it came.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you are able to relax this weekend.  
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope everything goes well Krissy

    Hugs

    Sandra xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmm I agree. Well I hope all is ok. Can't wait to read about it on Monday. Hugs and prayers to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm guessing it's to be extra careful, in case it ends up being the other type of reaction?   Glad to hear the update, though, and that it was hives, not something worse.  Yes, I know that's bad enough!  My child's had eczema and sensitive skin.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  -- Robin

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...