Wednesday, December 20, 2006

How to take digital photos

I thought I would throw out a few tips on how to take better digital photos.  Hopefully this will make all of our shots better.  I know this stuff is really basic, but sometimes I need basic!  If you have any additional tips for everybody, please leave them in the comments section.  Thanks!

1.  Pick subjects that are interesting.  Your photos will be more interesting, your enthusiasm will show through in your work.

2.  If you want to take a shot of something and have it occupy most of the photo, then fill up the frame (as you look through the camera) with the subject.  You can do this either by getting up close to the subject, or using the zoom feature on your camera.

3.  Watch what you cut out of a picture.  You don't want to be cutting off people's legs, or their head, or half a Christmas tree, or, well you get the idea.

4.  Watch what setting you put the camera on.  There are different settings for different distances.  There is a landscape setting for photos that are far away, and a macrosetting for things that are three feet and closer.  And many settings in between.  Choose your settings carefully.

5.  Sometimes shoot your subjects vertically.  Especially when photographing people.  What this means is, turn your camera vertically (not horizontally).  That way you will not be cutting person's legs off and just getting half their body in.

6.  Take more than one photo!  Take lots!  You have the luxury to snap away with a digital camera.  This way you can choose which photo(s) you would like to keep and which you would like to discard.  You will have a much better chance at getting a good shot this way.  You may just come away with many good photos.

7.  Don't always take a picture shooting head on in front of your subject.  You can take the picture from below looking up, or from above looking down.  Try different angles.

8.  If it is dark, and you can't see your subject, turn on the light, or use your flash! 

9.  Before you shoot, check out the background.  Is it untidy or distracting?  Perhaps you need to clean it up, or move the camera to take your shot from a different angle.

10.  If you are photographing a person, look at your model for a moment.  Is there a last minute thing on your model that needs to be taken care of?

11.  Consider joining a photography community on the net.  Others will give you an honest opinion on your work.  This will help you take better photos.

12.  Learn from others.  What do you like in their photos.  Really think about it.  Is it the composition?  Angle?  Style?  Lighting?  Colors?

13.  Learn from yourself and your own successes and mistakes.

14.  Consider using your photo shop program to enhance your photos.  I am not talking about going hog wild here and changing colors of your photos.  I am just talking about cropping them, and simple things like that.

15.  Read the Owner's Manual that came with your camera!!!

16.  Have fun! 

Krissy :)
Tags: , , ,

14 comments:

  1. Good suggestions. Thanks.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problem is I haven't done #15!!!!!!  (lol)

    Thanks for the great advice!

    ((hugs))
    Jeanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krissy have you been looking at my crappy pictures!? lol.  Thanks for the tips. I do take bad pictures, but I have a bad camera. (cheap one) And it didn't come with a manual which I wish it would ... I lost a bunch of pictures as I didn't realize I needed a storage card in there or when I take my batteries out I lose the pictures.  And if I leave the batteries in for even a few hours they go dead and I lose the pictures anyway. So going somewhere and taking pictures I have to make sure I'm home soon to get them on the computer.

    Really I did like your ideas and will use them for sure.  Even if you weren't referring to my pictures ;)

    Luv,
    Promise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good tips Krissy, I really need to do #9, the tidying up bit! Lol! Have a great Christmas, love to John. Jeannette xx  http://journals.aol.co.uk/jlocorriere05/Welcometomytravels/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very good list, thanks for passing it along.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  6. (((((((((((((((((((((((KRISSY))))))))))))))))))))))That is good info,thanks for sharing.I need to get more film for my camra,I use my pic phone now.lol.HAve a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very useful, Krissy, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Krissy.  Your information came just in time.  I do chop off peoples heads and legs but not this year.  LOL...                 Myke

    ReplyDelete
  9. I put my camera in a soft old sock to protect the LCD view screen surface and then put it in the case.  Others like the plastic protectors also.    Using the wrist strap could also avoid a catastrophy.   They are expensive fragile instruments!    All of your suggestions are excellent!    mark

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made the mistake of using the sports setting inside for some resent pics I took because the residents i work with dont hold still for long...lol
    The pics were all dark and greenish and didnt lighten up very well in psp either.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to know that I am doing it right!!
    You know I do so love your scavenger hunt and appreciate you take the time to keep it going...
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Krissy, these are excellent tips!  Very, very, very good!!  I am sure these will help!  Happy Jesus' Birthday! xox
    http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

    ReplyDelete
  13. Krissy, You sound so good, it makes me very happy to read your journal!  I am so glad things are better for you, and I can't wait to see a  pic of you in your new glasses.  Kirssy, since I just got a new digital camera for my birthday in November, and donn't know how to use it, I found your information very helpful.  I told Dave he'd be taking more of our sons wedding pics in Jamacia (Dec 5) than me, so HE shoould learn how to use MY camera first as a REAL present to me, and I pulled that off.  he he.  So far we are still working on getting them online though. Our son and daughter in law were here 23 and part of today.  They are in love and happy.  All is well, though we had to have Christmas early, and I am a bit down tonight.  But we are so lucky to even get to SEE each other.  Merry Christmas Krissy, and same to John.  Love you guys!  Merry

    ReplyDelete
  14. Krissy, You sound so good, it makes me very happy to read your journal!  I am so glad things are better for you, and I can't wait to see a  pic of you in your new glasses.  Kirssy, since I just got a new digital camera for my birthday in November, and donn't know how to use it, I found your information very helpful.  I told Dave he'd be taking more of our sons wedding pics in Jamacia (Dec 5) than me, so HE shoould learn how to use MY camera first as a REAL present to me, and I pulled that off.  he he.  So far we are still working on getting them online though. Our son and daughter in law were here 23 and part of today.  They are in love and happy.  All is well, though we had to have Christmas early, and I am a bit down tonight.  But we are so lucky to even get to SEE each other.  Merry Christmas Krissy, and same to John.  Love you guys!  Merry

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...