Wednesday, March 26, 2008

i have a tear in my muscle above my rotator cuff

I'm writing this while having Narcolepsy problems, so I hope you all will bear with me, and I hope it makes sense, LOL.    
 
I've started Physical Therapy again.  Well, technically, Occupational Therapy.  On Thursday of last week I was released from Physical Therapy for fibromyalgia.  Then  the beginning of this week I started rehabilitation for something else.   I have a torn muscle above the rotator cuff of my left shoulder.
 
Dr. Bosha knew it was most likely torn, but did an MRI to check it out.  A few days later, I was led into his exam room.  Dr. Bosha showed me images of my shoulder on the computer.  Sure enough, I saw a large tear.  Wow, modern technology.
 
At any rate, Dr. Bosha was very glad (as was I, trust me!) that the tear was not all the way through, and that there was enough muscle still attached above the rotator cuff.  Otherwise the rotator cuff would become detached (extremely painful I hear) and I would have to have surgery. 
 
So we were both most pleased that the muscle will heal without surgery.  That is if I am not too reckless with it.  The idea is to get the shoulder/arm to move enough so that it becomes mobile again, but not move the shoulder/arm so much that the muscle will tear more. 
 
The reason I didn't tell you all before this, when my arm was hurting so badly (and it has been hurting for a month or two), is because I didn't know if I was going to have surgery or not, and I wanted to wait before I concerned anybody.  And I wanted to confirm what it was.  
 
Now is going to be the fun part.  Occupational Therapy two times a week.  It won't be easy.  I know it will be painful, because my shoulder often hurts around the clock as it is.  A lot.  And my therapist is going to be stretching it out.  And I, of course, will be doing exercises daily. 
 
I have very little mobility in my left arm and shoulder now as it is, and I want to keep up on the exercises so I don't lose use of my left arm. 
 
Even typing hurts.  I am limited to 20 minutes of typing at a time.  Then I am  to stop doing any activity with my shoulders or arms until the pain is completely gone.  I am then allowed to resume typing.  Hmmm, 20 minutes of typing at a time!
 
Okay, must run, my time is up!  I have stuck to the 20 minutes (Ya right!). 
 
Love you all, 
 
Krissy :)

25 comments:

  1. A friend of mine had a similiar problem with a muscle and she is still in therapy for hers too. I know of the pain you speak of as I see it in my friend.
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((Krissy))) praying for you; as the Lord knit you together in your mother's womb, my prayer to him is that he knits your rotator cuff back together as only he can do

    love you

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morning....thinking of you today....and asking the Lord's blessing upon you and that He will bestow much grace upon you.

    Love Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Krissy, I am so sorry this has happened. Believe me I know what you are talking about because I tore mine several years ago and ended up having surgery to clean it out. I am sending up a prayer for you right now. Hugs, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Krissy, well aren't we a fine pair?  You with your sore left shoulder and me hobbling around on my sore right knee.  I'm waiting for my insurance to authorize a MRI on my knee and then a treatment plan will be decided on.  I've had MRI's before and I hate them !  So much noise in such a tiny place.   Linda in Washington state

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry, it sounds very painful.

    ReplyDelete
  7.  Take care.  I have had that and it takes awhile to get back to normal.  Just hang in there.

                    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I am so glad that they know what it is and that it can be healed!  That is a blessing!  I hope everything works out to your advantage and that you don't have to go through to much more pain!!  

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do all your exercises so you will be well soon....
    Take care!
    Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. OUCH!!  That must hurt, I can't imagine.  Take care of yourself!!
    Missie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I am so sorry Krissy. Appt's, appt's, appt's!  God girl sticking with 20 minutes (or close to it ; )  gentle hugs hunnie,  Bethe

    ReplyDelete
  12. be carefull krissy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Krissy you take care of yourself.  Know this has to be really sore and will take a little time before you feel 100%, but the rehab will get you going in the right direction. Glad you don't have to have surgery, so do whatever you need to get yourself healing going in the right direction dear. Don't do anything to aggravate this, just take care of yourself first over anything else.  Arlene (AJ)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OUch!  Hope your shoulder heals quickly.  P.T. will be wonderful for it.  Be careful.  Glad you don't have to have surgery.  Praying for you.
    Love,
    D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds so sore. I hope It heals well for you. Take good care krissy. Love Pam xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dave has had this problem a couple of times. With physical therapy it did heal.  My borther in law had it in both shoulders. One was like lazor, and same day surgery, the other was worse and he had to have traditional suregrey.  You sure don't want that, Krissy; so be a good girl and folllow doctors orders, hard as that may be.  Love,, Merry

    ReplyDelete

  17. Krissy,  ok you are to follow Dr's orders.  Remember only 20 minutes.  

    I bet it is very painful.  How does this happen?  The Physical Therapy will help you alot.

    You take care my friend.......love and hugs    Myke

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, that is so painful.  Do follow the therapists orders -- and get better!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Krissy that sounds painful! Glad you don't need surgery. Keeping you in my prayers on the smoke you heal quickly. (Hugs) Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds sore! Hope it heals quickly for you!

    ~~Make It A Great Day~~
                 Sharon
    http://journals.aol.com/buggieboo1/ImASurvivor/


    ReplyDelete
  21. ouch ouch ouch. Rest it and work it girl.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love you honey!  I'm praying for you.  Blessings, Penny  http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/FromHeretoThere
    http://journals.aol.com/firestormkids04/TimeforaLittlePoetry

    ReplyDelete
  23. Good luck with your therapy, Krissy. It might be a tough road, but I bet you're tougher!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yeah both my mom and sister had a torn rotator cuff and had the surgery, which they said was extremely painful. Glad you don't have to have it. I have fibromyalgia too, the therapy just made my flair up worse. There's nothing that helps mine.
    Love ya,
    Liz in Va.
    http://journals.aol.com/bethjunebug/Bethjunebug

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ugh, Krissy, that's terrible.  I have problems with a tear in my rotator cuff.  It did heal on its own with phsyical therapy back in 2001.  I'm not sure what happened this time but there is fluid all through the joint, and it becomes frozen. I guess because I baby it.  Even the shot didn't help.  I sort of didn't follow through with physical therapy this time because of money and time constraints.  It's my right arm and I'm right handeed...blah.  Hope you get that all taken care of.  You sure don't need another thing to deal with. Happy Sunday!  Love n Hugs Chris

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you. Now is your chance! So what do you want to say?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...